During Market hours on Friday – 17.12.2021:
- The Dow (Symbol: DIA) went down 1.62%. The S&P 500 (Symbol: SPY) lost 1.41% and the Nasdaq (Symbol: QQQ) fell 0.5%.
- Johnson & Johnson (Symbol: JNJ) — Shares of Johnson & Johnson fell 2.7% after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended Moderna and Pfizer vaccines for Covid-19 over the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Thursday. The CDC confirmed 54 cases of people developing blood clots and showing low blood platelet levels after the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- Cerner (Symbol: CERN) — The health-care information company’s stock jumped 12.9% following new that it’s in talks about a potential sale to Oracle. The deal could be worth $30 billion, according to the Wall Street Journal. Shares of Oracle (Symbol: ORCL) fell 6.4%.
- FedEx (Symbol: FDX) — Shares of the shipping company jumped 4.9% after quarterly earnings and revenue results topped expectations and it announced a $5 billion buyback. FedEx also reinstated its original 2022 EPS forecast.
- General Motors (Symbol: GM) — GM lost 5.5% following news that Dan Ammann, CEO of its San Francisco area-based self-driving car company Cruise, has left the company. Cruise founder Kyle Vogt will be interim CEO.
- Rivian Automotive (Symbol: RIVN) — Electric vehicle maker Rivian saw shares fell 10.2% after reporting its first quarterly results as a public company and cut its 2021 vehicle production target, expecting to fall “a few hundred vehicles short” of its 1,200 vehicle target.
- Winnebago (Symbol: WGO) — The camper added 0.8% after reporting a sizeable beat on the bottom line for its fiscal first quarter. Winnebago earned $3.51 per share, compared with FactSet’s consensus estimate of $2.34 and revenue that also came in above analysts’ forecasts.
- Banks — Financial stocks were among the biggest laggards Friday as bond yields fell amid heightened fears about the omicron variant. Wells Fargo (Symbol: WFC) fell 4.6%. Goldman Sachs (Symbol: GS) and Morgan Stanley (Symbol: MS) lost 3.9% and 3.1%, respectively. JPMorgan (Symbol: JPM) lost 2.2%.
During Premarket hours today (Monday – 20.12.2021):
- Moderna (Symbol: MRNA) — Moderna shares jumped 7.2% in the premarket after the drugmaker said a booster dose of its Covid-19 vaccine increased protection against the omicron variant 37-fold. Amid the spread of omicron, other vaccine makers are also seeing gains with Pfizer (Symbol: PFE) up 1.4%, BioNTech (Symbol: BNTX) adding 3.1% and Novavax (Symbol: NVAX) surging 10.3%.
- Cruise line operators — The surge in omicron cases is weighing on cruise stocks, with more pressure after a Royal Caribbean (Symbol: RCL) ship docked in Miami with 48 cases of Covid. Royal Caribbean dropped 2.9% in premarket trading, with Carnival (Symbol: CCL) down 2.9% and Norwegian Cruise Line (Symbol: NCLH) falling 3.6%.
- Airline stocks — Omicron concerns are also weighing on the airline stocks, with most of Airline stocks fell from 2% to 3%.
- AT&T (Symbol: T) — Barclays upgraded AT&T to “overweight” from “neutral,” based on a better broadband outlook for telecom companies than for cable providers. AT&T was up 1.6% in the premarket.
- Axon Enterprise (Symbol: AXON) — The maker of stun guns and body cameras saw its stock jump 7.3% in the premarket, following a number of stock purchases by company insiders.
*Any information contained in this article, including any information contained in external third party links, if any, is solely for informational purposes and does not contain, or should not be construed as containing, investment advice or an investment recommendation, or, an offer of or solicitation for any transactions in financial instruments. Past performance does not guarantee or predict future performance. Colmex Pro Ltd does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation and makes no representation, and assumes no liability to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, nor for any loss arising from any investment based on presented information.