During Market hours Friday — (Friday – 20.01.2023):
- The Dow (Symbol: DIA) went up +0.92%. The S&P 500 (Symbol: SPY) gained +1.86%. and the Nasdaq (Symbol: QQQ) jumped +2.74%.
- Netflix (Symbol: NFLX) — Shares of the streaming giant jumped more than +8% after Netflix added 7.66 million net subscribers in the fourth quarter, above the 4.57 million expected, according to StreetAccount. Founder Reed Hastings also announced that he is stepping away from his CEO role. The company’s 12 cents earnings per share were below estimates of 45 cents per share, according to Refinitiv, but was largely due to currency impacts on debt.
- Alphabet (Symbol: GOOGL) — The Google parent saw shares rise +5.34% after CEO Sundar Pichai announced the company will lay off 12,000 employees noting in a memo that the company “hired for a different economic reality than the one we face today.”
- Coinbase (Symbol: COIN) — The crypto services firm climbed +11.61% after JPMorgan reiterated its neutral rating on the stock, calling it a potential “beneficiary of the challenges that have faced other brokers/exchanges in the aftermath of the collapse and bankruptcy of FTX.”
- SVB Financial (Symbol: SIVB) — Shares surged +16.56%, a day after Wells Fargo said SVB Financial seems like the “deal of the century” and said the bank “remains the trusted partner of the innovation economy.” SVB Financial also reported an earnings miss Thursday, but its fourth-quarter net interest of $1.05 billion beat StreetAccount’s estimate of $1.01 billion.
During Premarket hours today – (Monday – 23.01.2023):
- Advanced Micro Devices (Symbol: AMD) — The semiconductor maker rallied nearly +3% after being upgraded by Barclays to overweight from equal weight, which said it sees potential upside from direct-current and generative artificial intelligence.
- Salesforce (Symbol: CRM) — Salesforce shares gained more than +5% premarket on news that activist investor Elliott Management has reportedly taken a multibillion-dollar stake in the cloud-based software giant.
- Shopify (Symbol: SHOP) — The e-commerce company rose nearly +5% after being upgraded to buy from hold by Deutsche Bank, which said brands are growing increasingly interested in Shopify.
- PayPal (Symbol: PYPL) — Shares of the payment company dipped more than -1% in premarket trading after the Wall Street Journal reported that large banks are teaming up to create their own digital wallet. The wallet would be a competitor to PayPal and Apple Pay.
*Any information contained in this article, including any information contained in external third party links, if any, is solely for informational purposes and does not contain, or should not be construed as containing, investment advice or an investment recommendation, or, an offer of or solicitation for any transactions in financial instruments. Past performance does not guarantee or predict future performance. Colmex Pro Ltd does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation and makes no representation, and assumes no liability to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, nor for any loss arising from any investment based on presented information.