Please see below Market News for Yesterday (Monday – 04.01.2021) and today Premarket (Tuesday – 05.01.2020):
During Market hours Yesterday — (Monday – 04.01.2021):
- The Dow (Symbol: DIA) went down 1.13% The S&P 500 (Symbol: SPY) slid 1.36%. The Nasdaq (Symbol: QQQ) also went down 1.41%.
- Quantumscape (Symbol: QS) — Shares of the battery company slid more than 40% as investors took profits in the newly public company. Over the last week, shares are down 53%.
- Tesla (Symbol: TSLA) — The electric vehicle company jumped more than 3% to a new all-time high after Tesla said it delivered a record number of vehicles during the fourth quarter. The stock is coming off a banner year, which saw shares gain more than 700%.
- Boeing (Symbol: BA) — The aerospace giant’s stock fell more than 5% after investment firm Bernstein downgraded the stock to underperform from market perform. The firm said in a note that the company still faces a long recovery even after the return of the 737 Max.
- Herbalife (Symbol: HLF) — Shares of the nutrition company gained more than 3.8% after Herbalife announced that it was buying back roughly $600 million of its stock from activist investor Carl Icahn. The activist’s representatives on the board of directors are stepping down, though Icahn said in a statement he will remain a shareholder in the company.
- Magellan Health (Symbol: MGLN) — The stock rose more than 10% on news the company is being acquired by Celgene for $2.2 billion, or $95 per share. That price represents a 14.7% premium to Thursday’s close of $82.84 per share. The deal is expected to close in the second half of the year.
- Workhorse Group (Symbol: WKHS) — The electric vehicle maker saw its stock rise more than 8% after receiving an order for 6,320 vehicles from Pride Group.
- China Telecom (Symbol: CHA) , China Mobile (Symbol: CHL) — China Telecom and China Mobile dropped 5.45% and 5.89%, respectively, after the New York Stock Exchange said it will delist the Chinese telecom giants starting Jan. 11. The move is to comply with an executive order signed by President Donald Trump in November that barred Americans from investing in companies allegedly connected to the Chinese military.
- Estee Lauder (Symbol: EL) — The cosmetics company lost 4.21% after Raymond James downgraded Estee Lauder to market perform from outperform. The firm said Estee Lauder’s near 30% rally in 2020 is causing investors to look past the near-term headwinds presented by the pandemic.
During Premarket hours today – (Tuesday – 05.01.2021):
- Micron Technology (Symbol:MU) – Citi gave the chip and hard drive maker a double upgrade, to “buy” from “sell,” based on its expectation of a long-awaited upturn in DRAM memory chip market. Micron rose 3.2% in premarket trading as of 7:39 a.m. ET.
- First Solar (Symbol: FSLR) – The maker of solar power systems received a double downgrade at Goldman Sachs, which cut its rating on First Solar to “sell” from “buy.” Goldman feels that First Solar’s earnings and margins are peaking and that more cyclical headwinds to its business are emerging. The shares fell 4.5% in premarket trading as of 7:39 a.m. ET.
- China Telecom (Symbol:CHA), China Unicom (Symbol: CHU), China Mobile (Symbol:CHL) – The three China-based companies will not be delisted by the New York Stock Exchange, reversing a decision made last week. The NYSE said it reversed its prior directive “in light of further consultation with relevant regulatory authorities.” China Telecom was up 9%, China Unicom rose 12% and China Mobile added 11% in premarket trading as of 7:39 a.m. ET.
*Any information contained in this article, including any information contained in external third party links, if any, is solely for informational purposes and does not contain, or should not be construed as containing, investment advice or an investment recommendation, or, an offer of or solicitation for any transactions in financial instruments. Past performance does not guarantee or predict future performance. Colmex Pro Ltd does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation and makes no representation, and assumes no liability to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, nor for any loss arising from any investment based on presented information.