During Market hours yesterday — Tuesday (15.12.2020):
Stocks rose sharply on Tuesday as traders grew more optimistic about Congress passing another economic relief package.
- The Dow (Symbol: DIA) gained 1.1%. The S&P 500 (Symbol: SPY) advanced 1.3%, snapping a four-day losing streak. The Nasdaq (Symbol: QQQ) climbed 1.3%.
- Apple (Symbol: AAPL) — Apple shares rose more than 3% after Nikkei reported the tech giant will ramp up its iPhone production by about 30% in the first half of 2021. The report also said that the tech giant has shared a preliminary plan with suppliers that calls for 20% more iPhones for the full year than in 2019, before the pandemic.
- Eli Lilly (Symbol: LLY) — Shares of the drug maker gained 3% after the company announced a deal to acquire Prevail Therapeutics in an all-cash deal worth roughly $1 billion. Ely Lilly also announced a 15% increase in its dividend.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (Symbol: BMY) — Shares of the drug maker popped more than 2.5% after Goldman Sachs added Bristol-Myers to its “Conviction List.” Goldman analysts said they see the company’s pipeline data driving “upward estimate revisions and multiple expansion.”
- Baidu (Symbol: BIDU) —Shares of Baidu rallied more than 10% after Reuters reported the company is considering making its own electric vehicles. The Chinese search engine giant already operates a unit that develops autonomous driving and internet connectivity technology.
- RealReal (Symbol: REAL) – Shares of RealReal surged more than 9% after Piper Sandler initiated coverage on the luxury consignment platform with an overweight rating. The Wall Street firm said it’s optimistic that consignment activity will rebound as the economy reopens with the vaccine rollout. The stock is down more than 10% this year.
- Chewy (Symbol: CHWY) – Shares of Chewy jumped more than 5% after Chief Financial Officer Mario Marte told the Wall Street Journal that the pet retailer plans to build out its online catalog to boost orders. Marte also said the company is working to expand its telehealth service and will begin to monetize it soon. Shares of Chewy have soared more than 200% in 2020.
- Deere (Symbol: DE) — Shares of the farming equipment manufacturer rose more than 2% after Oppenheimer initiated the stock with an outperform rating. The Wall Street firm said it sees agricultural fundamentals improving.
During Premarket hours today – Wednesday (16.12.2020):
- Tilray (Symbol: TLRY), Aphria (Symbol: APHA) – The Canadian cannabis companies will combine in an all-stock deal that will create the world’s biggest cannabis producer. Aphria shareholders will hold 62% of the combined company, with the company paying a 23% premium over Tilray’s Tuesday closing price.
- Moderna (Symbol: MRNA) – Moderna was downgraded to “hold” from “buy” at Jefferies, which cited the significant runup in the drugmaker’s stock as well as high expectations surrounding its Covid-19 vaccine.
*Any information contained in this article, including any information contained in external third party links, if any, is solely for informational purposes and does not contain, or should not be construed as containing, investment advice or an investment recommendation, or, an offer of or solicitation for any transactions in financial instruments. Past performance does not guarantee or predict future performance. Colmex Pro Ltd does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation and makes no representation, and assumes no liability to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, nor for any loss arising from any investment based on presented information.